Somatic Therapy brings together Somatic Experiencing®, Relational Trauma Therapy, and Somatic Resilience and Regulation Touchwork to unwind the symptoms resulting from the lived experience of shock and developmental trauma.
Coming into presence together, we listen to the stories that have imprinted on the body, and make space for the nervous system to organically move you out of holding patterns and into more vitality, presence, and empowered embodiment.
A Somatic Therapy session may be for you if
- you have a sense that you could express yourself more clearly
- you want to show up with more presence in your life and relationships
- you want to feel lighter, more joy, energy, and also an increased sense of your ability to be with the hard stuff
- you have heard about ‘nervous system regulation,’ and ‘resilience’ and want to know what it is to experience this
- you want to feel a sense of belonging, worthiness, self-respect
Peter Levine, the creator of Somatic Experiencing, defines the symptoms of trauma as “not caused by the event itself. They arise when residual energy from the experience is not discharged from the body. This energy remains trapped in the nervous system where it can wreak havoc on our bodies and minds.”
Together we listen for what wants to be known. We may consider the sensations, images, emotions, thoughts, and movements that arise when thinking or speaking about a stressful or significant event, or we may be quiet together. We attend to thwarted survival impulses as they find their way to being expressed, and retrieve the life force that has been held in these events.
Most importantly, we follow the pace of your body, honouring its orientation to health. We build awareness and connection so that when bound energy begins to move it can be integrated in a sustainable way. Movement, touch, ‘virtual’ touch if working online, and verbal cues may be used to build internal awareness, support the flow of energy, and to soothe and regulate the nervous system.
Some of the ways your body may be telling you that a Somatic Therapy session could be helpful are
- difficulty with digestion, sleep, chronic or mysterious pain symptoms
- feeling ‘flooded’ with emotions – ie. depression or anxiety
- difficulty with concentration, feeling foggy or lost, low energy, or stuck in overdrive
- a feeling that things could be different
I look forward to supporting you in moving from distress and unease to a spacious, softer, and sturdier capacity for all that you are. A session can be done on its own in person or online, or integrated into a Structural Integration session. Learn more about me, and book a free initial consultation where we can meet, and I can answer your questions and share more about how we can work together.